RubySlippers

Ruby

Only within the last couple years have I found my love of reading again. I've found that my interests lie mostly under that big genre umbrella that is fantasy, but I'm down for anything that will move and/or entertain me.

Broken Harbour
Tana French
Roaring Midnight (Macey Gardella, #1)
Colleen Gleason

This Is Not a Test

This is Not a Test - Courtney Summers This is Not a Test lingers with you. While you read it. After you read it. I knew what I was getting myself into after reading the summary I knew this wasn’t going to be some action-adventure zombie killing spree. This is the story of the six teens and how they cope with their situation, each other, and how they’ve had to survive.When I first started I have to admit that I was not feeling it. It felt jumpy, I wasn’t getting enough information, but reflecting on it I think it helped the narration. You feel just like Sloane must have in those moments. I finally fell into full force about one hundred pages in. The characters were all well done and fully fleshed out. There is no good and bad, no one is right or wrong. Sloane was tragic, broken, and so completely understandable. Her journey – mentally, physically, and emotionally – was a truly compelling read. The abuse she had to endure. Her feelings of abandonment. The hope she finally finds. She felt very real to me. The other characters were just as important to the story. Cary, Rhys, Grace, Trace, and Harrison all have their own stories that are engrossing and heartbreaking. Cary, in particular, was a character I found myself invested in. He was not exactly a stand up guy before everything happened and now he’s had to make some hard and even suspect decisions to survive. These kids were obviously teenagers. Not thinking every thing through, the consequences of certain actions not even a floating thought through their minds. The last thing I would be doing during a zombie apocalypse would be having unprotected sex. And if I had just been bitten by a mad man (infected or not) I would not be going to a safe zone to be “medically processed”. You're totally just asking to be shot in the face upon arrival. One of the few problems I had with this book is the ending. I thought it was quite predictable. I didn’t much care for it either, but I’m not sure how else it should have ended. Everything is tied up, there aren’t any real loose ends hanging around, but I do think there is room for a sequel to be made. This was my first Courtney Summers book. It won't be my last.