RubySlippers

Ruby

Only within the last couple years have I found my love of reading again. I've found that my interests lie mostly under that big genre umbrella that is fantasy, but I'm down for anything that will move and/or entertain me.

Broken Harbour
Tana French
Roaring Midnight (Macey Gardella, #1)
Colleen Gleason

Kill Me Softly

Kill Me Softly - Sarah Cross This was a poorly done retelling that offered up nothing new. Characters were often meant to subvert common fairy tale tropes but they lacked the depth and development needed to actually say something meaningful. The plot is practically non-existent. For much of the book nothing happens but hanging-out and partying between the cast of characters, with some “cryptic” things said about certain characters’ destinies. For all the emphasis on the original fairy tales I never felt like the setting or plot was actually all that dark and disturbing. The only thing I found disturbing was the reactions the protagonist, Mira, had toward the antagonist, Felix; they were very dismissive and unconcerned.I could not stand Mira. She was naive, selfish, and impulsive in all the wrong ways and never seemed to grow. Then, of course, you have the horrid insta-love despite multiple characters telling Mira that the guy she's obsessed with is a terrible person. I hate that she pretty much forgives serial murderer, Felix, at the end of the book. Of course, she never tells anyone of authority (her guardians, police, anyone with common fucking sense) that said murderer is still alive and is going to finish his business with her, i.e. kill her. How you can continue to love someone who is a murderer and wants to murder you is beyond me but apparently Mira still does!The one bright spot was that the writing was good, a lot showing instead of telling. The dialogue and banter seemed fairly natural (if not somewhat annoying), though some things struck me as odd and were left unaddressed. Unfortunately, everything else was much too shallow for me to connect with anyone or the story.